Saturday, April 7, 2012

Ben the Builder

My husband Ben is a builder.  Or a contractor.  Whatever you want to call it.  He does amazing work. He's very meticulous and he has a tool for everything. 

One day when we first got married I was pulling nails out of the walls of our old rent house, getting ready to paint.  Of course I was using needle-nose pliers because before I met Ben I thought that's what one was supposed to use to pull nails. 

He came in the room, looked at the pliars in my hand scornfully and said, "What are you doing?"

"I'm pulling nails out of the walls, why?"

"Why are you using those pliars?"

I looked at the pliars.  "What else am I supposed to use?"

He sighed and rolled his eyes.  "You're supposed to use the nail-pullers, of course."

He went to get them out of tool box for me, no doubt lamenting my lack of knowledge concerning all things tool-related and thinking about how much he had to teach me.

Nail-pullers are pretty cool, by the way.  They work better than pliars.

 But he doesn't only build cabins and houses.  He builds all kinds of things.  He's practically a genius.  He built this cabin: 


And he built this 1963 Nova, which is currently being re-built again to make it even cooler:


And he built this custom AR-15, which is obviously a household necessity.  Please run to the nearest gun store and buy one immediately.  Or have Ben build one for you.


Here's another cabin:


But this is my favorite.  Love this cabin!  If you want to stay in it, go to http://www.beaversbendgetaways.com/ and book the Starlight Creek.  I promise you won't regret it.


Oh, and last summer he built this boat.  We were going to sell it.  I don't think that's going to happen.  By the way, I picked out the paint colors  He let me do that much so it would be "our" boat.  So sweet!  He felt that he owed me that much because he was so obsessed with the boat while he was building it that I started referring to myself as a boat widow.  I'm not gonna lie, we had some fights over the boat.  But that's another story.  Oh, and you know how he has a tool for everything?  One day when he was working on the boat he came into the kitchen very sweaty, greasy and excited.  It was cute. 

He said, "Hey, Babe, you know how I've been having such a hard time getting that old steering wheel off the boat?  Well, I finally got it off!"

I was very happy for him.  "Oh, good!  How did you do it?"

"I used my steering-wheel puller that I forgot I had!"

Of course.  The steering-wheel puller.  They actually make a tool for pulling steering-wheels?  Yes, indeed.  And we have one.  Another household necessity.  Please run to the nearest tool store and buy one immediately. But didn't the boat turn out nice?


 And he is currently building this cabin.  Its going to be really lovely:



This is Ben grinding something.  I got him that totally rad welding helmet for Christmas.  And yes, I just said rad.  Doesn't he look handsome and manly?


I just thought this was sweet.  Ben and Patience driving the tractor.  She loves going for rides with Daddy!  Isn't he just the best?


I love my husband.

3 comments:

  1. You are so blessed, Sarah! What a wonderful husband God gave you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, this is a wonderful snapshot of Ben! It is so fun to see him living out his dreams. This really is who he has been since he was a young boy. I'm glad he has you, and Patience, and soon baby boy to share them with. God bless you for loving and appreciating him as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, he's a pretty cool dude. I have a major crush.

    ReplyDelete