Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Boat: To Sell or Not to Sell?

I know I just wrote an entire post about my husband, but I'm going to write about him again.  I've been missing him this week because he's been working crazy hours trying to finish a remodel job on a rental cabin. Bless his heart, he's been working from 7:30 in the morning till 9:00 at night.  Its been a stressful job, so Patience and I have been taking supper to him and his crew in the evenings.  He says it helps for him to see our smiling faces.  He's so sweet.  Anyway, if I seem obsessed with my husband its because I am.  I miss him. 

So we had a funny conversation the other day.  You see, a couple of weeks ago he got the boat out and running on the lake.  The plan was to sell it.  But once he got it out zipping along the water again sparks flew and he renewed his love affair with it.  I wish I could get him to react to me the way he reacts to that boat.  Anyway, a few days after we had the boat out on the lake someone called in response the post Ben had on Craigslist.  Uh-oh, potential buyer.  Ben is torn.  We sit down at the kitchen table to discuss this problem.

He sighs and rubs his head.  "What do you think, Babe?  Should we sell it?"

I hate and love when he asks me questions like that.  Hate it because I want to give a good answer and don't always know how, love it because he cares about my opinion.  And in this instance I don't think there would be a right answer.  I think it would be equivalent of me asking him, "Does this dress make me look fat?"  In which case, right now, he would have to say yes.  I do not look good in dresses when I'm pregnant.  I look like a barn.  A really, really, big barn. 

Anyway, he asks me about the boat and I sit and ponder while Patience runs circles around the kitchen table. 

"Well," I finally say, "There are pros and cons.  You did build it to sell and you do need a new truck, so we could use the money for that.  On the other hand, its really fun to have and we used it alot last summer. But it also costs a lot every time we go to the lake.  I guess it just depends on whether or not we can afford to keep it right now  Patience, don't take your clothes off.  Leave your shirt on, I mean it."  Patience is really into removing her clothing and running around naked right now.

So we waffle back and forth about the pros and cons of keeping the boat.  Then Ben's eyes light up and he says, "Hey, remember that financial book we read about being a pipeline, not a tank?"

I remembered.  The concept was to be generous and keep your money flowing for the good of others.  Don't be a holding tank, be a pipeline.

"Yeah, I remember.  Oh, Patience, gross don't eat that.  Here, let me wipe your nose.  Yeah, I remember. Why?"  Patience is about to eat a huge green booger she's pulling out of her nose.  I jump for a tissue while Ben shares his thoughts.

"Well, we really did take a lot of people to the lake with us last summer.  I think everyone had a really good time.  I think we should keep it and use it to bless our friends this summer.  You know, use it as a pipeline!"

Interesting.  How convenient that our pipeline somehow pipes right back into our tank.

So as of now, it appears that we are keeping the boat.  And I'm okay with that.  I won't be able to heave myself into it for at least two more months, and even after the baby is born I don't know if I'll feel up to riding in it or tubing behind it, but I can sit with my feet in the water, watch Patience play, and nurse the baby.  And watch my husband have the time of his life, which I really do enjoy.  I mean really, how can we break up this dynamic duo, Ben and the Boat?:


Just look how much fun he's having.  And more than likely we will have a crowd of people with us because thats the way we roll.  Ben will pull screaming teenagers - and adults - on the tube.  We'll grill hot dogs and wash them down with ice-cold Dr. Pepper.  We'll lounge in lawn chairs visiting and chasing kids.  I'll destroy my self-esteem by attempting to wear a swimsuit just after giving birth.  There's always a negative.  And I always have to think of it.

But it really does sound like a good way to spend the summer.  How could we have ever thought of selling the boat?

No comments:

Post a Comment